– With the current events that we, Muslims, face in our daily lives, we ask ourselves, does Islam allow us to be critical minded?
– We are taught by our imams and ustadzes that Islam is a complete way of life, but do we really understand what this means? We, Muslims, in this country face tons of problems and challenges: there is poverty, corruption, distorted views on datuism that leads to authoritarianism, tribal feuds or clan feud, sexual exploitation of our women, social injustice, and natural calamities like Ondoy, Pablo, and Sendong.
– We are also taught about the Hadith of our Prophet “to seek knowledge, from the craddle to the grave”. But how do we encourage our fellow Muslim brothers and sisters to think?
– In my quest to answer these questions, I discovered two important Arabic words that is mentioned in the Holy Quran. They are:
– Tafakkur means to reflect, meditate cogitate, ponder muse speculate revolve in one’s mind, think over, contemplate, and consider. It is mentioned in the Quran 17 times.
In Surah A-Rum verse 8 Allah says: Do they not contemplate within themselves? Allah has not created the heavens and the earth and what is between them except in truth and for a specified term. And indeed, many of the people, in [the matter of] the meeting with their Lord, are disbelievers. (Sahih International)
– The word for “Intellect” is ‘Aql عقل, meaning sense, sentience, reason, understanding, comprehension, discernment, insight, rationality, mind, intellect, intelligence.
Thus, it is wrong to say that we, Muslims, follow Islam blindly. On a personal understanding, Islam and science works together. But Islam is not limited with science alone as there are points in human and its environment that science can not explain alone.
I encourage all my Muslim friends, relatives, and even my non Muslims friends and relatives, to reflect on these two important points.