Born on January 16, 1916 in Bugasan, Parang, Cotabato of religious Muslim parents, Sultan Lidasan and Bai Ampay. Devoid of sufficient schooling, he learned the English language through diligent self-study and wide reading and devoted much of his time studying the Holy Quran, Islamic Theology and Ideology and lived a devout religious life.
He served as Municipal District Mayor of Bugasan, Cotabato from 1938 until the outbreak of World War II in 1941; Deputy Governor in Bugasan, Balut, Barira, Buldon and Parang Districts of Cotabato from 1942-1945 and as such, he joined the guerilla movements in Mindanao with the recognized rank of 1st Lieut., (Grla) PA and was a PACU assistant in 1946. When Parang, Cotabato was made a municipality on August 18, 1947, he was elected the Municipal Mayor which position he had won three times and served until 1959.
Thru his leadership and efforts, he founded the Parang Muslim School and the Parang Muslim Mosque. He was also the President of Mindanao Young Muslim Association, Filipino Muslim Pilgrimage Association, Active member of the Muslim Association of the Philippines, and became also President of Maguindanao Electric Company.
On August 1956 he traveled on a Goodwill trip to Indonesia with Senator Domocao Alonto as representatives of the Philippine Government under President Ramon Magsaysay. And on August 23, 1958 again traveled to Singapore as member of the Mercy Mission which brought aid and medicine to the Muslim Pilgrims on board SS Loraine stranded then at Colombo.
Datu Bara served well his people. He has been independent in his political decisions, responsive to the dictates of good, efficient and honest government, a distinction looked upon by other municipalities. Under his leadership he built the Parang Town Hall, maybe the first of its kind in the whole province of the then Empire Province of Cotabato. A two-story semi concrete building, with a ground floor stands proud overlooking the Illana Bay.